- Bio: I'm originally from the northwest where I hiked all throughout Idaho, Washington and Montana. Mostly hiking to high mountain lakes to fish in. Moved to Vegas in 2010. Never felt like home and the only thing I really liked about it was the nice winters. Then I discovered our amazing back yard. 2014 was one the hardest years of my life. I was attacked from behind and knocked out in my work parking lot by a carjacker. I never saw him/her and the attack triggered something in my subconscious causing massive anxiety and panic attacks. For a year I was basically a prisoner in my own home. My first real venture back into society was a hiking meet up. I had put on 40 lbs in the worst shape of my life and was an emotional mess. I quickly realized how therapeutic climbing on those rocks could be. My third hike with a group was with Dinorah on Turtlehead Jr. and she told me about this club. I had no business on that hike, not only with my physicality but with my lack of scrambling skills. But I was hooked!! The idea of climbing all these peaks was so me as I've always had summit fever. I tried to join the next day but was actually honest on my survey and Kathy told me I needed to get more experience. So I did. Playing in Calico 2-3 days a week. I kept trying to get into the club and about the 4th time I tried, Kathy said, "Someone so determined deserves a chance" so she invited me to do Windy with her and Branch to evaluate me. Somehow I convinced them and here I am. I originally didn't have any goals time wise in finishing the peaks. Then my life was thrown upside down again and my wife of 13 years left me. 2015 was by far the toughest year of my life. Not only losing her, but also losing a great friend along the way in Sean Randles. I was sitting on 12 peaks bagged and I decided I would finish the rest in a year. Focusing on that goal helped me immensely. Not being someone who sets goals I'm proud to say I accomplished it. And thank goodness I did, without that goal and the amazing friends I have been able to meet on these routes God only knows where I would be. The people I've met through this group are like a second family to me now and I'm so grateful I found the 52 Peak Club. And now Vegas is in my blood and I can call it home.
- Age: 48 years old
- Why did you join the 52 Peak Club: Initially I joined for one month. I joined the club mainly to have someone show me the way to all those peaks. There is no better feeling than standing on a peak and thinking, "How many people ever see what I'm looking at now?"
- Date Completed all 52 Peaks: Officially 10/20/2016.
- Favorite hike: Tough one as I like so many for different reasons... White pinnacle is my favorite peak to stand on.. Bridge Mountain I love for all it's amazing diversity... Charleston peak for it's challenge and fantastic views along the way....Rainbow will always have a special place in my heart because it was the "okie dokie" hike.... Magic because it's just plain fun....Turtlehead jr. because, well , you always remember your first and I happen to love the double slot route...Holiday because of so many different views along the way... toughest....that's a toss up between Wilson and Rainbow for me How did I feel... a massive sense of accomplishment for setting a goal for the first time and actually meeting it.
- How did you feel once you became a 53er: Proud and blessed for all the relationships and memories I've gained through this journey.
- Advice For New Hikers: Pick the right hikes for your level, especially in the beginning, i.e., don't get on a fast paced hike unless you are in great shape and don't try the more technical hikes too soon, they aren't going anywhere. You don't want to be "That guy/gal" that everyone is waiting for or worried about. Pay attention to the experienced scramblers and watch and learn their technique. But most importantly, as my friend Sean liked to say, "It's all about the journey my friend." Enjoy that journey!!